Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Quick Lit: July 2016


I think this month was a bit boring for books, but I did cruise through almost 2000 pages. As I said last month I've been working through my first-ever re-read of the Harry Potter series for #harrypotterthon16. In June I read the first five books, so in July I finished 6 & 7.



The first time I read the books (2.5 years ago) I FLEW through book 7, because I had to know how things ended. This time I already knew the ending, and so I could set the book down and savor a chapter at a time. It was sooooo nice to go relatively slow, and remember and discover things I didn't notice before or had forgotten!


Once I finished, I still had about 3 weeks until the release of Harry Potter and the Cursed Child (which I pre-ordered with a Barnes & Noble gift card I won in a drawing :)  and so I found Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them and The Tales of Beetle the Bard at my library (I was really hoping for the Quidditch book too, but they didn't have it). They were a fun little addition to my #harrypotterthon16 reading.


I read one other book this month, since I needed some airplane reading at the end of July and didn't have the new HP book yet.


I loved Marie Lu's Legend trilogy, and thought I'd give her new series a try. The Young Elites is a futuristic/dystopian story set on another planet (they have three moons). An illness swept through the land when the main character was a child, leaving her and others scarred and marked physically and making them outcasts in society. But some of those affected also possess special powers, and are beginning to band together to overthrow the dark government in their land.

I almost abandoned the book a few times in the first half because of some of the darkness and setting, but kept going because I didn't have anything better with me. It picked up, and it held my attention enough that I did put in a request in at the library for book two.

With that, I'm now 7 months into the year and have read 34 of my goal of 36 books. :) My copy of The Cursed Child arrived yesterday, so I'm off to binge! Happy reading!


Are you a Harry Potter fan? Are you excited to read the new play/script? 


Linking up with Anne Bogel's August Quick Lit on the 15th!



2 comments:

  1. I didn't fully appreciate the 7th HP book until I re-read it because I rushed through it the first time. I haven't read Cursed Child yet. I'm waiting for it to come to my library.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must be living under a rock, but I didn't know about the Beedle the Bard book or the fantastic beasts one! I heard of them, but thought they were fan fiction. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete