Thursday, January 8, 2015

Storytime: Blue

Age: 2-5 years
Time: 30 minutes + play

This was our first Storytime of the winter/spring session. I did a color one week each month in the fall, and we're continuing the pattern.
I even dressed up for the theme today. :)


1) I use the same opening and closing songs each week. Click here to see what I do.


I like the simple rhymes in this book. The kids got a kick out of the end when I showed them I had blue socks on too!


3) Five Little Bluebirds
I found a bag with five cardstock bluebirds attached to craft sticks, along with this rhyme. The kids held up five fingers to start, and put one finger down each verse, while I held the sticks. We counted how many birds/fingers were left each time.

Five little blue birds, hopping by my door
One went to build a nest, and then there were four.

Four little blue birds singing joyfully
One got out of tune, and then there were three.

Three little blue birds, and what should one do, 
But go in search of dinner, leaving only two.

Two little blue birds singing for fun
One flew away, and then there was one.

One little blue bird sitting in the sun
He took a little nap, and then there was none.


4) Shape Monster flannel
I had enough blue squares to give every kid one, plus another color/shape. We went through all the colors until only blue was left, and it was fun when they all came rushing up to put their blue ones on.


5) Blue Chicken - Deborah Freedman
I really like the images in this book, and the blue stands out so well. Don't forget to check out the inside of the back cover for what the chickens got into next!


6) Song - I Know a Chicken - Laurie Berkner
Any easy transition from the previous book. Lots of kids chose blue eggs.


7) Song & Rhyme Cube
I didn't use this at all in the fall session, and want to do it more now. It's an easy way to use up a few more minutes of time, and expose kids to classic songs and nursery rhymes that wouldn't otherwise "fit" with a weekly theme. This week we rolled I'm a Little Teapot, Five Little Monkeys, and If You're Happy and You Know It.


8) Little Blue Truck - Alice Schertle
Who doesn't love Little Blue Truck? And none of my kids had seen his books before! They loved it.


9) I use the same opening and closing songs each week. Click here to see what I do.


10) Playtime/Craft
I brought out the blocks and instruments again. For the table craft I had cardstock and little bowls of blue fingerpaint. 


Other blue ideas:
Blue Sky - Audrey Wood (I used this in my 0-2 yr old group)
It Looked Like Spilt Milk - Charles G. Shaw (I have a flannel that goes with it)
The Artist Who Painted a Blue Horse - Eric Carle (this would be great to make a flannel for)
Blue Goose - Nancy Tafuri
Baby Bear Sees Blue - Ashley Wolff
Grumpy Bird - Jeremy Tankard
What's the Matter Bunny Blue? - Nicola Smee
Little Blue Truck Leads the Way - Alice Schertle




This post does contain Amazon Affliate links. Purchases you make help support The Lion is a Bookworm a little bit without changing the cost to you!

3 comments:

  1. Welp, I just had to order ALL of those books for myself. :) Thanks for planning my next storytime for me haha.

    Just curious...how did you handle clean up after that fingerpaint activity? Is there a sink in your storytime room?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I could help! :) We have a small kitchen right outside our room, and bathrooms down the hall. I keep baby wipes nearby if anyone wants them, but this week the moms all just ushered their kids down to the bathroom with their hands in the air. :) It's the really-super-washable paint from Crayola, so as soon as everyone is done and gone, a wet washcloth cleans up the tables easily.

      Delete
  2. Hello! Do you have the words for the Shape Monster Flannel? The link is no longer working. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete