Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Quick Lit: August 2016


Woohoo!! After tracking my books for two years and not meeting my goal (36 books each year), I finally did it! With time to spare! I'm not completely sure what's been different this year, except that I got off to a fast start, read a few middle-grade books, and re-read all of Harry Potter in 5 weeks.

My goal has been 3 books a month, and I'm going to try to stick that out the rest of the year before re-evaluating my goal for 2017. I met the 3-book goal this month!




I picked up Red Rising earlier this year, after seeing it recommended for those who enjoyed The Martian. I ended up putting it down, as apparently I wasn't in the mood for the futuristic, science fiction, violent, government-is-evil storyline.

But I kept seeing it around, other people enjoying the series, and it continued to draw my eye on the library shelf. I finally picked it up again, started again at the beginning, and pushed through. After a certain point, that I hadn't reached the previous time, where a certain... procedure occurs (those who have read the book know what I'm talking about!), I was hooked.

The second book was my least favorite, as is usually the case with trilogies. But it ended with such a cliffhanger that I had to run to the library the next morning to get book 3! And the third book contained so many plot twists and how-are-they-ever-going-to-get-out-of-this?! events that I couldn't put it down. I was pretty satisfied with the ending too (I kept thinking, "please don't kill ___ off!")

Most of the science fiction and dystopian books I read are young adult, so with this series being truly considered adult fiction, there was more violence and language than I'm used to. But since I'm a fast reader, it was easy for me to skim over certain things. I wouldn't be able to listen to it on audio.

As I was reading, I found myself thinking "this would make a good movie, but how would they show that part? what would they have to cut out to fit the story into two hours?" So of course I decided to Google "Red Rising movie" and discovered it is indeed being made into a movie, with early drafts of the script being penned by Brown himself! It sounds like it's still in the early stages of production, but some are saying it will be bigger than Hunger Games.

And while doing that Google search, I also discovered Pierce Brown is writing another trilogy that takes place after the end of the first! The first book comes out next year. I'll have to decide if I read them as they come out, or wait to binge on them like I did in this series...


Do you enjoy science fiction?
Any others you'd recommend to me? 



This series would fit a few categories in the MMD Reading Challenge, but since I've already checked them off (published this year [Morning Star], previously abandoned), I'm going with "a book that intimidates you". I think the reason I abandoned it originally was because it intimidated me. :)



Linking up with Anne Bogel's Quick Lit on September 15!



No comments:

Post a Comment