Thursday, August 22, 2013

Storytime: Pirates

Before I started in this job, I had already planned a week-long vacation with my husband, and of course it fell right in the middle of our Summer Reading Program... BUT I had an amazing volunteer step up and lead both of my storytimes plus my elementary drop-in craft for that week! I planned it all out ahead of time for her.

Age: 2-5 years
Time: 30 minutes

1) Peg Leg Peke – Brie Spangler


2) Song – I Know a Chicken - Laurie Berkner


3) Sheep on a Ship – Nancy E. Shaw


4) Song – If you’re a pirate and you know it
Swab the desk, walk the plank, say ahoy!


5) Pirate Nap: A Book of Colors – Danna Smith
I already had most of the colors featured in this book as feltboard pieces from my shape monster, so I just cut a few more squares out of the colors we didn't have yet. Windy said the kids loved bringing up their pieces when their colors came up in the story!


6) Bubble Bath Pirates - Jarrett Krosoczka



Pirate hat 
I wanted a really easy craft for Windy to lead with the kids. I used the hat template found here, as well as the "silly skull" image they reference (shown below). I copied the hat (with the skull image glued in the center) onto white cardstock and cut them out, along with strips of cardstock. The kids colored the skull, then adults stapled cardstock strips to fit the hat around their kids' head. Super easy!


No comments:

Post a Comment