Monday, April 14, 2014

Money Smart Kids Read! Storytime

My library decided to take part in Money Smart Week this year, which is April 5-12. The Michigan Credit Union League graciously offered to give free copies of The Berenstain Bears' Trouble with Money book and Money Rules by Jean Chatzky to each family in attendance if we offered a storytime program. We didn't have as large of a turnout as I'd hoped, but those who came said they really enjoyed it.

I offered the program for ages 8 & under, as the BB book age range is 3-7. I ended up with one 7 year old, one 5 year old, and then my normal storytime crowd of 2-4 year olds. I felt a little bad for the older girl, because I kept tailoring things to be what the little ones would best understand, which I knew was way below her level. Oh well, I think she still enjoyed it.


1) These Are My Glasses - Laurie Berkner
My "usual" weekly storytime opening song. I start by asking them to show me their glasses and their book, then we sing it through twice.

These are my glasses (make the letter o with each hand)
And this is my book (hands together)
I put on my glasses (put "glasses" over eyes)
And open up the book (open book hands)
Now I read read read (hold book up in front of face like reading)
And I look look look (put glasses over eyes and look around room)
I put down my glasses and… (lower glasses)
WHOOP! Close up the book. (clap as if closing a book quickly)


2) The Berenstain Bears' Trouble with Money - Stan & Jan Berenstain
I wouldn't have chosen this to read to such young kids, except that it's the one they would all receive for free at the end of the program. It really does have a great message, and great ideas about spending and saving money, it was just a little long for my youngest kids. Putting it at the very beginning of the program helped keep their attention though.


3) Values of money
I showed the kids some real money (coins and dollars), we talked a little about how different kinds of money equals different numbers (you know how hard it is to explain that to preschoolers?!) and I put up this flannel.
I got the idea from Librerin. The coins are printed on cardstock, with a velcro circle on the back to hold it up. I taught the kids the little song from Librerin (to the tune of Ten Little Indians):

Pennies, nickels, dimes and quarters
Pennies, nickels, dimes and quarters
Pennies, nickels, dimes and quarters
Put them in that order

We sang it a few times, then I purposefully goofed it up and they all corrected me, No! No! That's not the right order!!


4) Bunny Money - Rosemary Wells
I created cardstock money with velcro on the back to go with this book. I put it all on the board to start and took it down as Max and Ruby spent it. It seemed to help enforce the idea that when you buy something, your money goes away.


5) Down Around the Corner at the Bakery Shop
I first created this for my doughnut storytime. The original idea was from Lindsy's Preschool Alphabet. I combined it with Mel's Down Around the Corner and used her nickels. After giving each kid a cardstock nickel and spreading the "donuts" on the floor, I read:

Down around the corner at the bakery shop,
There were (#) little donuts with colored frosting on the top.
Along came (name) with a nickel to pay,
And he/she bought the (color) one and took it away!

So the kids got more practice with "paying" for something (they had to give me their nickel when they picked up their donut). After all had been taken, I went around the room asking "[name], what color donut do you have?" and they would tell me and I'd take it from them. 


6) Jenny Found a Penny - Trudy Harris
Some simple rhymes and big pictures helped this be a good closing story. After it was over, we went back through and looked at all the things Jenny did (or didn't do) to get money. 


7) Wrap-up
I pointed out the books on the counter that I'd pulled off of our shelves that could be checked out, both kids and adult books about money.
I explained I'd distribute the free books while the kids worked on their craft, as well as the survey that the Money Smart Week people wanted us to return to them to help plan for future events.



8) Wooden Bank Craft
I bought some unfinished wood block banks from Oriental Trading, and set the kids to coloring them with markers. I encouraged the kids to maybe draw a picture of something they'd like to save their money up to buy. The BB book also came with stickers that many kids put on their banks.

Probably my favorite part of the night was when I went around and gave each kid a penny to put in their bank to get started saving. Their eyes LIT UP and they were soooooo excited to receive money from me! 



Other ideas for a money storytime:
Benny's Pennies - Pat Brisson (All of the blogs I read about a money-themed storytime used this one. When I went to interloan it, it was only available at two libraries in my co-op, and they were both checked out. Bummer.)
You Can't Buy a Dinosaur with a Dime - Harriet Ziefert (I literally flipped on the spot back and forth between this and Jenny Found a Penny for my last book, trying to decide which would be better for this particular group of kids. Maybe I should have just flipped a coin. :)
Sheep in a Shop - Nancy Shaw
Just a Piggy Bank - Mercer Mayer


And here are some more photos of our evening:
"This is the doll I want to buy! She looks just like me!"




No comments:

Post a Comment