Thursday, February 26, 2015

Storytime: Trains

Age: 2-5 years
Time: 30 minutes + play and craft


1) I use the same opening and closing songs each week. Click here to see what I do.


2) A Train Goes Clickety-Clack - Jonathan London
A basic train book about what some trains look like and the different things they can carry.


3) The Wheels on the Train
Another simple "wheels on the bus" rendition from The Storytime Lady.

The wheels on the train go clickety-clack (bend arms at elbows, chug chug around like train wheels)
The whistle on the train goes toot toot toot (pull train whistle)
The conductor on the train says “all aboard!” (cup hands around mouth)
The crossing gates go up and down - or clang clang clang (arms cross in front of you like the gates)
The people on the train go bumpety bump (sit on seat, bump up and down)


4) Clickety Clack flannel
From Mel's Desk. I did print and use the patterns she provides, and considered drawing in the windows and details but decided last minute to leave them as the outlines. The boxcar and coach car could probably have used the detail to make them look a little different but oh well. I had the kids hold up the number of fingers we were on for each sentence. If I'd had 6 or less kids I would have handed them out and called the color along with the type of car and had them bring them up. But I had one of my bigger groups today at 12!
Clickety-clack, clickety-clack,
Here comes the train on the railroad track!

Clickety-clunn, clickety-clunn,
Here comes ENGINE number one.

Clickety-clew, clickety-clew,
Here comes COAL CAR number two.

Clickety-clee, clickety-clee,
Here comes BOX CAR number three.

Clickety-clore, clickety-clore,
Here comes TANK CAR number four.

Clickety-clive, clickety-clive,
Here comes COACH CAR number five.

Clickety-clicks, clickety-clicks,
Here’s the CABOOSE, that’s number six.

Clickety-clack, clickety-clack,
There goes the train on the railroad track!


5) All Aboard the DinoTrain - Deb Lund
When I pulled this book out parents exclaimed it combined two of their kids' favorite things! I wish I would have clipped a few pages together. I forgot that I had when I'd used it once for a dinosaur storytime, and by 3/4 of the way through the kids were restless. Maybe just because while the pictures were beautiful they weren't very engaging. I tried to read it with lots of expression. They all liked the ending though.


6) We are the Dinosaurs - Laurie Berkner
But the DinoTrain book easily led into one of my kids' favorite songs.


7) Song Cube
This week the cube rolled I'm a Little Teapot and If You're Happy and You Know It. (Okay that's 3 weeks in a row of If You're Happy. I'm beginning to think my kleenex box is heavier on one side. Time to switch the pictures around.)


8) I Love Trains - Philemon Sturges
So this one hits on basically the same things as the first book we read, along with lots of the other train books I list below in "other" ideas. But I love the simple images, few words on a page, and cute ending.


9) I use the same opening and closing songs each week. Click here to see what I do.


10) Playtime/Craft
I brought out the blocks and instruments for play, and our table craft was Shape Trains. I got the idea from here and here via Pinterest. I freaked out a little bit because I thought I had a medium size circle punch at home to make the wheels but couldn't find it... so I quickly free-handed a bunch of black wheels instead. The kids didn't care. :)
My example - but I emphasized they could
make their trains look however they wanted!



Other train ideas:
Freight Train - Donald Crews (I used this with my Littles)
My Little Train - Satomi Ichikawa
The Little Engine That Could - Watty Piper
Hey Mr. Choo-Choo, Where Are You Going? - Susan Wickberg
Inside Freight Train - Donald Crews (board book)
Steam Train Dream Train - Sherri Duskey Rinker
Clickety Clack - Rob & Amy Spence
Dinosaur Train - John Steven Gurney
And the Train Goes... - William Bee
The Goodnight Train - June Sobel



This post does contain Amazon Affliate links. Purchases you make help support The Lion is a Bookworm a little bit without changing the cost to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment