Saturday, April 25, 2015

The Lion's Tales: April 19-25

This weekly recap is where I blog about anything and everything from the past week. Could be about books, my kids, my garden... Random things in my life that don't fill enough space for their own post!


1. I didn't get to write a recap post last weekend because I was away at a training for GEMS Girls' Clubs. My church has a club, but I am also involved in higher-up leadership training. About 50 women from all across the U.S. and Canada get together once a year to learn about things for the next season and prepare to bring those trainings back to our own area in late summer/early fall. If you're interested in having a club in your area for girls in 1st-8th grades, let me know and I can hook you up. :)


2. I got to go on my first field trip with Abby this week! This was one of the things I was looking forward to the most about leaving my library job, being able to do trips with my kids. We went with her preschool class to the zoo and it was COLD! It had rained most of the day and night before, and sprinkled a bit while we were there. There was one other class there from a different school, and about 4 other adults visiting, but other than that we had the whole place to ourselves. We alternated between outdoor exhibits and indoors to warm up. :-P It was quite memorable.


3. I had my first Usborne parties this week! On Thursday night I showed off my stash of books to a small group of friends. Both of my girls were with me, and they were natural saleswomen! I asked everyone who was there to choose a book from the display and we went around and talked about why it caught their eye. Abby started, and she grabbed a shine-a-light book and flashlight all on her own and showed off to the group how it worked. I might have to take her with me to more shows!


4. Getting things started with Usborne has really eaten into my reading time. Mornings and naptime and evenings when I would normally pick up my book and read have been instead spent writing party scripts and offering book recommendations and reading up on product knowledge. I'm hoping that in the next week or two I'll be off to a good enough start and have my materials already created so that I can get back on track with my reading goal! (I did start reading one of the chapter books that came in my kit, so I can give better advice to people who want to know more about it. I'll probably count those kind of books toward my goal since I've counted other YA & juvenile books! :) )





No comments:

Post a Comment