Thursday, November 7, 2013

Storytime: Bears

Age: 18-36 months (coloring page instead of craft), 3-5 years (with craft)

This school year in storytime I decided to use the alphabet to give me inspiration for themes. So this week, B is for Bears!


1) These Are My Glasses - Laurie Berkner
My current opening song that we sing acappella every week. I start by asking them to show me their glasses and their book so that they remember the signs. We sing it through twice, then I'll ask them to quietly put their "books" in their lap.

These are my glasses (make the letter o with each hand)
And this is my book (hands together)
I put on my glasses (put "glasses" over eyes)
And open up the book (open book hands)
Now I read read read (hold book up in front of face like reading)
And I look look look (put glasses over eyes and look around room)
I put down my glasses and… (lower glasses)
WHOOP! Close up the book. (clap as if closing a book quickly)


2) Mystery Box
This week I brought a tiny stuffed bear from home.


3) Leaves - William Corderoy
A cute little book about a curious baby bear in the fall. Perfect for this time of year. (I was surprised when I searched for this one to link that it's older and not available from Amazon directly. I even had a hard time finding a picture of the cover. It's a great little book!)


4) Where is Bear? song 
Found this song at Storytime Katie. I had a cute soft teddy bear that I hid behind my back and pulled out for this song, then had him lay down in my lap to go to sleep. Then I had the kids shout "wake up bear!" and started again. We did it 4-5 times before deciding to let him sleep. Tune of "Where Is Thumbkin."

Where is bear? Where is bear? 
Here I am! Here I am! 
How are you this winter? Very tired, thank you. 
Go to sleep. Go to sleep.


5) The Three Bears - Byron Barton
I love the bold, simple pictures in Byron Barton's books. This one is a great rendition of the classic Goldilocks tale.


6) Six Busy Bears
This is a rhyme I found in my filing cabinet. It looks like it's from a book, the rhyme is a photocopy and the flannel pieces are white interfacing that's been colored. I did a Google search and didn't come up with anything... so I have no idea where it came from! In my 3-5 year old class we had 5 kids, so they could each have a piece to bring up. I just did it myself for the younger class since there were more than six kids.
Six little honey bears going out to play
Busy as can be, on a fine spring day (I changed spring to fall this time!)

The first little bear is eating honey in a chair
The second little bear is flying balloons in the air.

The third little bear is looking for rain in the sky
The fourth little bear is riding her tricycle on by

The fifth little bear is going fishing in the creek
The sixth little bear is playing cowboy hide and seek

Six little busy bears, tired as can be
Hear Mama Bear calling, "Come on home to me!"

Six little tired bears better run home quick
And away they all go - one, two, three, four, five, six (take bears off flannel board one by one)

Six little honey bears will come out to play
After a good night's sleep, on another fine spring (fall) day.





7) Baby Bear Sees Blue - Ashley Wolff
A relatively new book (published in 2012), I just love this one! The pictures are realistic, yet simple. I even had the bright idea to create flannel pieces and have the kids help me tell the story. It was also a sneak peak at next week's Colors theme, though they didn't know it... :)


8) Song Cube


9) B is for Bear coloring page (18-36 mo.) or B Bear craft (3-5 yrs)
Inspired by a handful of pictures from a Google Image search for "B is for bear craft."
My 3-year-old daughter's version



Other bear ideas:
Bear Snores On - Karma Wilson
Scare a Bear - Kathy-joWargin
Brown Bear, Polar Bear, and Panda Bear - Bill Martin Jr.




No comments:

Post a Comment