Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Storytime: Halloween

Age: 2-5 years
Time: 30 minutes + play and craft

I know I'm posting this too late for anyone to use this year, but it'll be in the archives for next year!! :)


1) I use the same opening and closing songs each week. Click here to see what I do.


2) Monster Needs a Costume - Paul Czajak
I reviewed this one during my 31 Days of NEW Kids Picture Books series in October. This is a new favorite author for me. I love the rhymes, the cute endings, the illustrations. I wish I had storytime in December so I could read Monster Needs a Christmas Tree!


It was easy to continue the monster theme and talk about colors and shapes with one of our favorite flannels - shape monster!


4) If You're a Monster and You Know It
From Miss Mollie

If you're a monster and you know it wave your arms
If you're a monster and you know it wave your arms
If you're a monster and you know it
then your arms will surely show it
If you're a monster and you know it wave your arms

...show your claws
...gnash your teeth
...stomp your feet
...roar out loud


5) The Monster Pokey
Also from Miss Mollie

You put your claws in
You take your claws out
You put your claws in
and you shake them all about
You do the wild rumpus 
and you turn yourself around.
That’s what it’s all about

horns
big feet 
tail 
hairy self


6) Mouse's First Halloween - Lauren Thompson
I love all of the "Mouse's First..." books. I even read this one in my 0-2 year old group (skipping a couple pages). A great little book to show there are lots of scary sights and sounds on Halloween, but you don't have to be afraid of them.


7) Five Little Pumpkins flannel
I used this in my Orange Storytime too. From Abby.

Five little pumpkins, sitting on a gate
The first one says "Oh my it's getting late!"
The second one says "Brrr there's frost in the air!"
The third one says "Aww we don't care!"
The fourth one says "Let's run run run!"
The fifth one says "Are you ready for some fun?"
Then whooooo went the wind (kids helped me blow!) and out went the lights
And the five little pumpkins rolled out of sight!


8) Just Say Boo - Susan Hood
Another great book for encouraging kids to not be scared on Halloween. The kids loved shouting "BOO!" when I paused to let them. There's a flannel I would have loved to use right before or after this, but I ran out of time to make it. 


9) I use the same opening and closing songs each week. Click here to see what I do.


10) Playtime/Craft
I brought out the blocks and instruments again, as well as the fake leaves to throw around. Our table activity was to make these pumpkins out of beads and pipecleaners. The only difference is we didn't make the loop first, instead we twisted the ends together after the beads were on to make the stem.



Other Halloween ideas:
That's a Costume! flannel
The Little Old Lady Who Wasn't Afraid of Anything - Linda Williams - I thought of using this YouTube video to have someone else read the story while I used the props.

There is no shortage of Halloween storytime ideas out there! Go to the Storytime Resource page on Mel's Desk and search for "Halloween and storytime." 






No comments:

Post a Comment