Saturday, November 22, 2014

Storytime: Travel

Age: 2-5 years
Time: 25 minutes + play


1) I use the same opening and closing songs each week. Click here to see what I do.


2) Dinos on the Go! - Karma Wilson
I liked how this one had all sorts of different forms of transportation. I did paperclip a few.


3) Vehicle Guessing Game Flannel
Thanks to Kate for this fun flannel! The kids were able to guess all of them except the hot air balloon, which I saved for last.


4) The Wheels on the Bus
One way that people travel that we didn't talk about in our flannel is a bus!

The wheels on the bus go round and round
Round and round, round and round
The wheels on the bus go round and round
All through the town

...doors... open and shut
...wipers... swish, swish, swish 

...lights... blink, blink, blink
...people... up and down


5) Toot Toot Beep Beep - Emma Garcia
I love this book and Garcia's Tip Tip Dig Dig. I made it interactive, asking the kids to repeat the noises after me


6) Green Says Go
I used this in my Vehicles storytime last spring. I put large green, yellow, and red paper circles on craft sticks. I asked the kids if they've ever seen a stoplight when their parents are driving. Most of them already knew that green means go and red means stop. Then I had them stand up and march in place while I showed them the different colors. I even switched the colors up a few times (straight from green to red, etc.).

Green says, “Go!” (march quickly)
Go go go! Go go go! Go go go! Go go go! 
Yellow says, “Slow...” (march slowly)
Slow slow slow... Slow slow slow... Slow slow slow... Slow slow slow...
And red says, “Stop!” (stop and freeze)

Go go go! Go go go! Go go go! Go go go!
Slow slow slow... Slow slow slow... Slow slow slow... Slow slow slow...
And STOP!


Also used this in my Vehicles storytime. I taught them the motions first, explaining the song goes really really fast. Then I played it directly from YouTube on my iPad (just for the song), since I haven't been able to find it available for purchase.


8) Road Work Ahead - Anastasia Suen
My own kids love this book. They like finding the ducks and chicken throughout. Not as easy with a large group though. But the rhymes flow well, and kids love construction equipment.


9)
I use the same opening and closing songs each week. Click here to see what I do.


10) Playtime/Craft
I brought out the blocks and instruments as usual. I also had some coloring pages with lots of different vehicles. 


Other travel ideas:
Honk Honk Beep Beep - Daniel Kirk
On the Road - Susan Steggall
Boats - Byron Barton
Red Light, Green Light - Anastasia Suen
Sheep in a Jeep - Shaw
Other things from my vehicles storytime
Purple car - Mel's Desk






No comments:

Post a Comment