Monday, November 17, 2014

Storytime: Yellow

Age: 2-5 years
Time: 30 minutes + play and craft


1) I use the same opening and closing songs each week. Click here to see what I do.


2) In My New Yellow Shirt - Eileen Spinelli
A fun book about a boy who pretends to be all kinds of yellow things because he's wearing a yellow shirt. Perfect for introducing a "yellow" storytime. I could see this being made into a flannel story.


3) Five Big Lemons flannel

Five big lemons in the bowl. (hold up five fingers)
One fell out and started to roll. (Fold down one finger, and roll hands)
It bumped the table, and hit my toe! (clap once, and touch toes )
How many lemons in the bowl? 1-2-3-4 (Count fingers/flannel pieces)

Four big lemons in the bowl...


4) Lemon Tree
From Miss Katie. I did the apple tree version earlier in the year.

Way up high, in a tall tall tree (hold hands up as high as possible)
Two big lemons smiled at me (make hands into fists)
I shook that tree with all of my power (shake shake shake!)
Down came the lemons (drop down and slap hands on floor)
Whoa, they were SOUR!! (hands on cheeks, make sour face)


5) School Bus - Donald Crews
Something that all of the kids have at least seen around town that is very yellow!


6)  The Wheels on the Bus
An easy follow-up song to the previous book.

The wheels on the bus go round and round
Round and round, round and round
The wheels on the bus go round and round
All through the town

...doors... open and shut ...wipers... swish, swish, swish 
...lights... blink, blink, blink
...people... up and down



7) Bumblebee (Buzz Buzz) - Laurie Berkner from The Best of the Laurie Berkner Band
I handed out scarves to all the kids and we just flew around flapping our wings during the chorus and sat down during the verses.


8Press Here - Hervè Tullet
It took me a little bit to explain that I wanted the kids to do the motions/tapping in the air in front of them, and I would be the one to do it on the book. I had a mom come up to me afterward and want to check this book out right away so her daughter could do it at home!



9) I use the same opening and closing songs each week. Click here to see what I do.


10) Playtime/Craft
Blocks and instruments as usual, white paper and yellow finger paint for the table activity.



Other yellow ideas:
Banana! - Ed Vere (I read this in the 0-2 class and they loved it!)
Lemons are Not Red - Laura Vaccaro Seeger
Yellow shirt cut and paste





No comments:

Post a Comment