Thursday, February 19, 2015

Storytime: Penguins

Age: 2-5 years
Time: 25 minutes + play and craft


1) I use the same opening and closing songs each week. Click here to see what I do.


2) One Cool Friend - Toni Buzzeo
My own kids recently received this book as part of the Dolly Parton Imagination Library, and they are loving it! The parents at storytime got a kick out of the ending, though I think it went over the kids' heads. I tried to explain, but it's one of those books that once you know the ending the middle makes lots more sense.


3) Baby Penguins
From Mary and Mike. I made penguins on sticks that I held for this rhyme while the kids acted it out, and brought out my big penguin puppet for the mama. The kids got to use the stick penguins later.
1 baby penguin makes a wish (hold up 1 finger then point up)
2 baby penguins catch some fish (hold up 2 fingers then clap hands)
3 baby penguins slip and slide (hold up 3 fingers then wiggle arms)
4 baby penguins run and hide (hold up 4 fingers then hide them)
5 baby penguins look around, (hold up 5 fingers then shade eyes with hand)
Calling “Mama! Mama! Mama!”
Out waddles mama, now the babies are found. (waddle)


4) If You're a Penguin and You Know It
I feel like I've used this tune so much in the last few weeks for various things... at least it's something that all the kids and parents know!

If you’re a penguin and you know it flap your wings
If you're a penguin and you know it flap your wings
If you're a penguin and you know it, and you really want to show it,

If you're a penguin and you know it flap your wings

I brought out our mama penguin again and showed them her wings -- she doesn't use them to fly, she uses them to swim!

If you're a penguin and you know it go for a swim...

I asked if anyone remembered from our first book what kind of pizza the penguin Magellan liked to eat...

If you're a penguin and you know it bite a fish...

And finally, we looked at the feet of my stuffed penguin and how there really aren't any legs. So when penguins have to walk, they waddle!

If you're a penguin and you know it waddle your feet...


5) Penguins Penguins Everywhere - Bob Barner
This was as non-fiction as I got this week, but I had brought out all of our other books about penguins for kids to look at after and check out, that had real photos of penguins and described them even more than this book.



6) Adorable Penguin
From Storytime ABCs. I handed out the stick penguins to the kids to act out this and the next rhyme.

I'm a little penguin
Black and white,
Short and wobbly,
An adorable sight!

I can't fly at all,
But I love to swim.
So I'll waddle to the water 
And dive right in!


7) The Penguins are Here
Also from Storytime ABCs.

The penguins are here; the penguins are there.
The penguins, the penguins are everywhere.

The penguins are up; the penguins are down.
The penguins, the penguins are all around.

The penguins are in; the penguins are out.
The penguins, the penguins are all about.

The penguins are low; the penguins are high.
The penguins, the penguins all say "goodbye"!


8) Song Cube
This week the cube rolled If You're Happy and You Know It and The Itsy Bitsy Spider (which we always add the verses for the Great Big Hairy Spider and the Teensy Weensy Spider...).


9) Five Little Penguins Slipping on the Ice - Steve Metzger
Just like 5 little monkeys. But with penguins. And different things that happen to them.


10) I use the same opening and closing songs each week. Click here to see what I do.


11) Playtime/Craft
I brought out the blocks and instruments again, but no one wanted to play. They all wanted to just do the craft. For the table craft I got the idea from Mike to cut squares of paper and let the kids glue them onto a background to make penguins. Some were really into making sure there's looked exactly like mine, others were more artsy...
My example


Other penguin ideas:
Adorable penguin hat craft
A Penguin Story - Antoinette Portis
Splash! A Penguin Counting Book - Jonathan Chester
If You Were a Penguin - Wendell & Florence Minor
Penguins - Liz Pichon
I Am Small - Emma Dodd



This post does contain Amazon Affliate links. Purchases you make help support The Lion is a Bookworm a little bit without changing the cost to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment