Monday, February 29, 2016

The Arctic: Part Two


We're finishing up our second and last month in the Arctic in the Reading Together Family Exploration Book Club.  Click here for my Arctic: Part One post.


Julie of the Wolves was our middle grade/YA pick for this topic. I shared a little of my past with this book in my Judging Books By Their Covers post. The first time I read it was through the eyes of a 10 year old who just loved animals. This time it was through the eyes of a parent, who was amazed at the resourcefulness of the main character. (I also couldn't remember from the first time I read it why exactly it's a banned book -- I must have blocked that scene from my young memory!)

I found myself wondering if I would be able to survive in the late summer/early fall months in Alaska. I don't think the cold itself would bother me so much, but I doubt I would have been able to think clearly enough in Julie's situation to pack things like matches, needles, and a knife.

What about you? Would you be able to survive alone in the Arctic wilderness?

__________________________________________________

A new month brings a new topic, so here is one more chance to linkup a blog post you've written this month about the Arctic. It could be a book review, craft idea, or just general thoughts about reading with your kids. We'll share some of your posts in our Facebook group for others to see!

Special thanks to our hosts for the RTFEBC:

And I'm Carrie, your co-host for January & February. :) 

Link-up Guidelines:
1. Share a post about reading this book or something else about the month's topic. Feel free to use the image at the top of this post in your post! Entries completely unrelated to this theme or linked to your homepage may be deleted.
2. Link back to one of the host’s posts.
3. The linkup will be open for two weeks.
4. Please visit the person’s blog who linked up directly before you and leave them a comment.
5. By linking up, you’re granting us permission to use and/or repost photographs or comments from your linked post.






__________________________________________________

For March and April, we'll be visiting Korea! Here are the three books we'll read together, all written by Linda Sue Park:


Even if you don't have kids, please plan to read these with us! I'm looking forward this year to getting out of my usual comfort zone and genres of books that I typically reach for. Moira of Hearth and Homefront will be the co-host for March and April! We hope you can join us


No comments:

Post a Comment