Thursday, March 12, 2015

Storytime: Green & St Patrick's Day

Age: 2-5 years
Time: 30 minutes + play and craft

Continuing our one-week-of-a-color-each-month theme, we're going green for March (fits great with St. Patrick's Day, spring, Michigan State basketball in March Madness... :)


1) I use the same opening and closing songs each week. Click here to see what I do.


2) I liked how Kathryn introduced the idea of St. Patrick's Day with a few sentences, so I shared this with the kids before we got started: "St. Patrick's Day is about a real person who lived a long time ago, in a place far away called Ireland. We wear something green and talk about real things like shamrocks and rainbows, and about pretend things like leprechauns and pots of gold.


3) St. Patrick's Day - Mari Schuh
This book is physically pretty small, so rather than a normal panning while reading I actually stood up and walked it around to show the kids the pictures more closely. There is a single sentence on every page and while it's not the most fun St. Patrick's Day book out there, it was the shortest one I could find!


4) Five Green Shamrocks
No idea where this came from - it was in my flannel drawer with a note "added February 1999"... I had a sudden influx of kids this week (my regular crowd is 6-8, this week I had 15!), so instead of going through it twice and letting the actual kids take the shamrocks off, I showed them my leprechaun from the next flannel and had him pick the shamrocks instead.

Five green shamrocks growing outdoors
[Child's name] picked one, and that left four.
Four little shamrocks, green as they can be
[Child's name] picked one, and that left three.
Three little shamrocks playing peek-a-boo
[Child's name] picked one, and that left two.
Two little shamrocks nodding in the sun
[Child's name] picked one, and that left one.
One little shamrock for St. Patrick's Day fun
[Child's name] picked one, and that left none.


5) Leprechaun, Leprechaun
I found a couple different versions of this, from Jen in the Library and Storytime Fun. Since I didn't want to spend too much time creating it, I printed and laminated the leprechaun and pot of gold and made flannel pieces for the others.
Leprechaun, leprechaun, what do you see?
I see a red heart here with me.

I see an orange star here with me.
I see a yellow moon here with me.
I see a green clover here with me.
I see a blue diamond here with me.
I see a purple horse shoe here with me.

Purple horse shoe, purple horse shoe, what do you see?
I see lots of children here with me.
Children, Children, what do you see?

What does that make? A rainbow!

And leprechauns LOVE rainbows, because they think at the end of a rainbow they can find a pot of gold!


6) Green: Seeing Green All Around Us - Sarah L. Schuette
Wow, two non-fiction books in one storytime?? The kids loved telling me all of the green things they saw on these pages. They started pointing out the green things around the room too. :)


7) Five Green & Speckled Frogs
Apparently the librarian before me had done this at some point, because I discovered a prop for it! It's a paper towel tube (so it really is a hollow log!).
Five green & speckled frogs (hold up 5 fingers)
Sitting on a hollow log (point at the log, kids sit)
Eating the most delicious bugs -- yum yum! (rub belly)
One jumped into the pool (flip one frog down, kids jump)
Where it was nice and cool
Now there are four green & speckled frogs! (ribbit, ribbit!)


8) We are the Dinosaurs - Laurie Berkner
My antsy group really needed to get up and move around, so we did this favorite song about something that's often depicted as green in books and pictures.


9) Where is the Green Sheep? - Mem Fox
I love this book. I did paperclip a couple pages since it felt a tad bit long for a closing book with our rowdy group.


10) I use the same opening and closing songs each week. Click here to see what I do.


11) Playtime/Craft
I brought out the blocks and instruments for play, and our table craft was green fingerpaint. I also had coloring pages left over from our Littles storytime that some kids colored with crayons and some kids colored with fingerpaint.


Other green ideas:
Green - Laura Vaccaro Seeger
Green Eggs & Ham - Dr. Seuss
It's St. Patrick's Day! - Rebecca Gomez
The Luckiest St. Patrick's Day Ever! - Teddy Slater
Lizette's Green Sock - Catharina Valckx



This post does contain Amazon Affliate links. Purchases you make help support The Lion is a Bookworm a little bit without changing the cost to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment