Saturday, November 14, 2015

The Lion's Tales: November 8-14

Inspired by Sadie's Saturday 7 and Jessica's Weekly Ramble, this weekly recap is where I blog about anything and everything from the past week. It could be about books, my kids, my garden... Random things in my life that don't fill enough space for their own post!
----------------------------------------

1. I tried a new recipe this week that I loooooved. I've recently become addicted to the Sorta Awesome podcast, so anytime I'm vacuuming or driving by myself I listen. I mentioned this same episode last week when I looked up my Myers-Briggs type, and finally this week had the chance to try out the Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice Soup.

I grilled up a bunch of chicken legs and thighs on Sunday night, and saved the leftover chicken in the fridge and put all the bones and scraps in the slow cooker with water overnight to make some broth. Late the next morning I strained it all, and added the veggies and chicken and spice pack from a box of Uncle Ben's Wild Rice. I kept it on low the entire time, and about 4 hours before dinner added the rice too.

The finishing touch of the cream mixture is what makes this recipe extra special. I do like a broth-y chicken soup, but the rice stands up so much better when this one turns creamy. I had a huge bowl for dinner, the rest of the family seemed to like it, and I had it for lunch the next few days (I'm not usually big on leftovers for lunch). Highly highly recommended for this cooler fall weather!
Ellie's and my lunch on Tuesday


2. The sickness saga continues. Monday night Ellie spiked a fever, which continued on Tuesday. She missed her first ever day of school. By Wednesday morning she cried every time she swallowed, so back to the doctor we went. Sure enough, she had strep throat. Another couple days of a different antibiotic and she's back to normal. I went in last night because I've had this lingering cold and my throat was getting worse throughout the day, but my strep test came back negative. It looks like just viral tonsillitis for me. More ibuprofen and salt water, yay...


3. With all this sickness I've been doing a little research on essential oils. I've always been a wavering skeptic (I'm willing to try anything once or twice if it's not too expensive, but don't really think they'll work). I have a lot of friends who use them, and a few who sell Young Living. This summer a friend gave me a mixture of tea tree and lavender that I mixed with coconut oil for a lotion when Ellie had lots of bug bites.

Lots of people swear by Thieves oil, and this week another friend gave me a spare roller she had that contained thieves mixed with a carrier oil. I've been rolling it on my feet and throat each day, and so far have only enjoyed smelling Christmas-y throughout the day (though Rocky says I smell like a gumdrop). It's almost gone, so I'm not sure whether to bite the bullet and buy a full bottle myself or put it to rest for awhile.


4. The football team for the school Rocky teaches at is headed to the regional final/state quarterfinal game this afternoon. It's surprisingly being played really close to home, so we might actually go. The weather looks like it will be dry, and while Ellie has already told me "it's too loud", it sure would be fun. Rocky and I went to see the basketball team play in the state final game last spring.
GO MUSTANGS! (this was from Homecoming earlier in the season)




No comments:

Post a Comment