Monday, September 29, 2014

Storytime: Fall (part 1)

Age: 2-5 years
Time: 30 minutes + play

I'm splitting my fall-themed storytime over two weeks, because there are just way too many good books about fall! This week had a heavy squirrel-theme, and next week will be more leaves-themed. I attempted a squirrel and tree storytime theme last season, so a few of the extra activities came from there.

1) I use the same opening and closing songs each week. Click here to see what I do.


2) Who Loves the Fall? - Bob Raczka
My own kids love this book. Or maybe I just love reading it to them... Fun rhymes, bold pictures, and it covers a variety of fall topics including sports, school, holidays, and more. 


3) What Falls in the Fall - Laurie Berkner
I wasn't able to find a video for this one, but we just kind of made up motions as we went. We played it from LB's Whaddya Think of That? cd. 

What falls in the Fall? Rain falls in the Fall
Down down down down down
The rain is falling down, puddles on the ground
It's wet beneath my feet in the Fall 


What falls in the Fall? Temperatures fall
Down down down down down
It's when the summer ends, you've got to hug your friends
To keep your body warm in the Fall

And when the leaves start to change, it's beautiful to me
Red gold and yellow colors all around
High up in the trees

What falls in the Fall? Leaves fall in the Fall 

Down down down down down 
They twirl everywhere, and I throw them in the air 
They crunch beneath my feet in the Fall 

What falls in the Fall? Kids fall in the Fall! 
Down down down down down


4) Flannel - What Will It Rain?
I had the right amount of kids to give each a piece of "food". I read the story from the book but didn't show the pictures, and placed the animals on the flannelboard myself then encouraged the kids to bring up the animal's food. It seemed to go well, the oldest kids were really getting into the rhymes and trying to guess which food was next - I purposely started not completing the sentence and for the most part they jumped right in with the correct word! 


5) The Busy Little Squirrel - Nancy Tafuri
This book was so simple the kids started saying the "but he was tooooo busy!" line without me. They were in a talkative mood. :) This would be an easy book to make a flannel for, with the different animals.


6) Little Squirrel song w/scarves
I had first seen the "Grey Squirrel, Grey Squirrel" song on Miss Tara's blog (and here's a YouTube link). Since I don't have the pom poms but liked the song, I gave the kids colored scarves and sang about different colors instead. And to have everyone participate for the first and last verses, I changed the "grey" squirrel to a "little" squirrel.

Little squirrel, little squirrel, swish your bushy tail 
Little squirrel, little squirrel, swish your bushy tail 
Hold a nut between your toes, wrinkle up your little nose 
Little squirrel, little squirrel, swish your bushy tail

Red squirrel, red squirrel, swish your bushy tail...


7) That Pup - Lindsay Barrett George
I also read this one in my 0-2 yr class. Who doesn't love big pictures of a cute puppy?? I noticed some parents whispering to their kids about the squirrel on each page. When we got to the page with the 10 acorns, we took the time to point and count them out.


8) I use the same opening and closing songs each week. Click here to see what I do.


9) Playtime/Craft
I brought out the blocks and instruments again, as well as a handful of plastic leaves to throw around. For the table activity I used an idea from Miss Sarah's Storytime, to print an outline of a squirrel on cardstock, let the kids put glue either on just the tail or the entire body, and sprinkle coffee grounds over it. Unfortunately I didn't get any photos, they turned out pretty cute, very similar to what's on Miss Sarah's page. I ended up with some coffee grounds on my gluesticks but was able to get it off without too much trouble. 



Other fall ideas:
Welcome Fall - Little Scholastic
It's Fall! - Linda Glaser
Old Bear - Kevin Henkes
Tap the Magic Tree - Christie Matheson
When the Leaf Blew In - Steve Metzger
Leaf Man - Lois Ehlert




No comments:

Post a Comment