Monday, March 16, 2015

Change is in the air... in more ways than one

A few years ago I wrote a post on my old blog called "An Ode to March." I really do love this month (and not only because it's my birthday month). I used to think that fall was my favorite season (changing leaves, cider, etc), but now I'm sure my favorite season is actually spring.


Change is something many people are afraid of, whether they admit it or not. We like stability, we like consistency, we like to avoid the stress that often comes with change.

But often we NEED change. Change can be good and healthy. Sometimes trading one type of stress for another is a good thing.

And that's what's happening in my life right now.

I've put in my letter of resignation to my library. My last day of work will be April 1. I'm going to stay home with my kids more.


Over the last... probably six months or so, life has gotten stressful for me/us. I work 22 hours a week at the library and 8 hours a week at my church. I do some other volunteer things too. I'd come home and need to hold my 2-year-old's hand while she fell asleep at night because "I need you... I don't want you to leave."

It's such a bittersweet decision. I love the things I do at the library - storytime is always fun, and I've gotten to know some great families in the last two years. But I've also felt pretty overwhelmed. Trying to accomplish programming for all ages 0-18 years, update displays, shelve books, etc. is difficult to do in 22 hours a week. And there have been some interpersonal stresses that I won't get into here.

My decision has come down to one overall thought: I could come back to a library or similar job someday; I can never come back to my kids' childhood.


I'm excited to be able to go on my preschooler's field trips, and do crafts with my 2 year old. I'm looking forward to a little more down time each week to just read during naptime. And I'll still be getting out of the house away from my kids a couple times a week to work at my church. I'm hoping to find ways to still be involved in the early literacy scene.

I'm not sure what will become of this blog. I definitely won't shut it down, I want my storytime plans accessible for anyone. I'd like to still keep it book-focused. And I still love to write. So I hope you'll continue to follow me as I figure out where The Lion is a Bookworm will go from here (any suggestions??).

Thanks for sticking with me. Have any of you ever had to make a tough, bittersweet decision?


No comments:

Post a Comment