1) These Are My Glasses - Laurie Berkner
My current opening song that we sing acappella every week. I start by asking them to show me their glasses and their book so that they remember the signs. We sing it through twice, then I'll ask them to quietly put their "books" in their lap.
These are my glasses (make the letter o with each hand)
And this is my book (hands together)
I put on my glasses (put "glasses" over eyes)
And open up the book (open book hands)
Now I read read read (hold book up in front of face like reading)
And I look look look (put glasses over eyes and look around room)
I put down my glasses and… (lower glasses)
WHOOP! Close up the book. (clap as if closing a book quickly)
2) Hush Little Digger - Ellen Olson-Brown
3) Song – We are the Dinosaurs - Laurie Berkner
My kids LOVE this song. They ask for it every week.
4) I Am a Backhoe - Anna Grossnickle Hines
5) I'm a Little Dump Truck
Just a simple rhyme I found on the CSLP disc that sounded like the famous teapot song. (adapted by Kapila S. Love and Sarah Northshield)
I’m a little dump truck strong and stout
(Make arm motions demonstrating strength and stoutness)
Hauling stuff around is what I’m about
(Motion carrying things)
When I get all filled up the workers shout
(Cup hands by mouth as if shouting.)
Dump me over and pour me out!
(Tip to one side with both arms over head)
6) Job Site - Nathan Clement
7) Songs – Hot Potato and Shake Your Sillies Out - the Wiggles
A couple of simple songs to help them get their wiggles out...
8) I Love Trucks! - Philemon Sturges
9) Instead of a craft today, we had our local fire and police departments bring a firetruck and a police car. The kids got to go outside and tour them, sit in them, have their pictures taken with them. It was a huge hit! I made sure I didn't give any indication we were going to do it, and the trucks didn't arrive until we were 15 minutes into storytime so the kids wouldn't see them. :) A great way to include your local people with your library!