Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Storytime: Big Machines

Our second storytime of our Summer Reading Program for 2-5 year olds was about Big Machines (especially those that "dig" to go with our summer theme!). A few months ago a large building next to the library was torn down, and many people would stand in the library parking lot and watch the "diggers" do their work.







1) These Are My Glasses - Laurie Berkner
My current opening song that we sing acappella every week. I start by asking them to show me their glasses and their book so that they remember the signs. We sing it through twice, then I'll ask them to quietly put their "books" in their lap.

These are my glasses (make the letter o with each hand)
And this is my book (hands together)
I put on my glasses (put "glasses" over eyes)
And open up the book (open book hands)
Now I read read read (hold book up in front of face like reading)
And I look look look (put glasses over eyes and look around room)
I put down my glasses and… (lower glasses)
WHOOP! Close up the book. (clap as if closing a book quickly)


2) Hush Little Digger - Ellen Olson-Brown
A really cute book based on the Hush Little Baby song.


3) Song – We are the Dinosaurs - Laurie Berkner
My kids LOVE this song. They ask for it every week.


4) I Am a Backhoe - Anna Grossnickle Hines
Didn't seem to interest the kids very well, but they did enjoy trying to move around like the different trucks.


5) I'm a Little Dump Truck 
Just a simple rhyme I found on the CSLP disc that sounded like the famous teapot song. (adapted by Kapila S. Love and Sarah Northshield)

I’m a little dump truck strong and stout 
(Make arm motions demonstrating strength and stoutness)

Hauling stuff around is what I’m about
(Motion carrying things)

When I get all filled up the workers shout
(Cup hands by mouth as if shouting.)

Dump me over and pour me out!
(Tip to one side with both arms over head)


6) Job Site - Nathan Clement
I had the kids repeat after me each time the boss yelled something. 


7) Songs – Hot Potato and Shake Your Sillies Out - the Wiggles
A couple of simple songs to help them get their wiggles out...


8) I Love Trucks! - Philemon Sturges
One more short book to end our program. It shows a bunch of the same trucks we'd already seen in previous books, but a couple extras too (like an ice cream truck). I wanted to make sure I ended this one because of the big red truck on the cover...


9) Instead of a craft today, we had our local fire and police departments bring a firetruck and a police car. The kids got to go outside and tour them, sit in them, have their pictures taken with them. It was a huge hit! I made sure I didn't give any indication we were going to do it, and the trucks didn't arrive until we were 15 minutes into storytime so the kids wouldn't see them. :) A great way to include your local people with your library!





No comments:

Post a Comment