Friday, October 3, 2014

31 Days of NEW Kids Picture Books: Day 3


Tea Party Rules by Ame Dyckman. October 2013.

From Amazon: "When he follows his nose through the woods, Cub discovers a backyard tea party…with cookies!  He is just about to dig in when the hostess of the tea party shows up. And she has several strong opinions on how Tea Party must be played. Cub tries to follow her rules . . . but just how much can one bear take, even for cookies?"

My thoughts: Seeing a "wild" bear cub pretending to be a stuffed animal just so he can get cookies is hilarious. Every time I turned the page I wondered how much more he could endure - it reminded me of little girls who try to put their cats and dogs in fancy dress-up clothes. But the ending is really cute - it's okay to bend the rules sometimes.

Age: Preschool and up





3 comments:

  1. Hi Carrie! This book sounds adorable! My daughters and I have "tea" every Tuesday after school, so this is right up our alley :) My daughters (8, 5, and 4) are all bossy to varying degrees, so sometimes it's hard for them to play because they are bossing each other around and/or are very particular about their rules about whatever they're playing. Does this book be address how to be a good playmate? It sounds like the little girl is like my girls :) Either way, it looks super cute and worth checking out!

    Stopping day from the 31 Days link up! beckyshappytable.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think it really hits on being a good playmate... the bear makes it through almost the entire book pretending he's stuffed and giving in to whatever the girl wants! But it does have a cute ending, where they both bend the rules. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. Thanks! I'm going to get it for my youngest for Christmas...it's so adorable!

    ReplyDelete