Monday, October 20, 2014

Storytime: Owls

Age: 2-5 years
Time: 30 minutes + play and craft


1) I use the same opening and closing songs each week. Click here to see what I do.


2) Little Owl's Night - Divya Srinivasan
I told the kids that owls are special because they sleep in the daytime and come out to play at night. This cute little book introduces what other things are out in the nighttime.


3) If You're an Owl and You Know It
From Librarian Lisa

If you're an owl and you know it flap your wings
If you're an owl and you know it flap your wings
If you're an owl and you know it, and you really want to show it
If you're an owl and you know it flap your wings

Blink your eyes...
Turn your head...
Hoot like this...


4) 5 Little Owls 
From Sunflower Storytime

Five little owls sitting in a tree, one flew away - how many do you see?
Four little owls...

I created a set of flannel owls to use for this and the next rhyme, based on Leah's hoot owls.


5) 5 Colorful Owls
From Storytime Fun

One blue owl when the moon was new,
Along came a green one and that made 2.
1 - 2

Two little owls perched high in the tree,
Along came a white owl and that made 3.
1 - 2 - 3

Three little owls flew past the barn door,
Along came an orange owl and that made four.
1 - 2 - 3 - 4

Four little owls sitting side by side,
Along came a red owl and that made five.
1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5

Five little owls hooted, "Whoo, whoo, whoo,"
And they all flapped their wings and away they flew.
5 - 4 - 3 - 2 - 1


6) Wow! Said the Owl - Tim Hopgood
I pulled out some colored flannel pieces and handed them out to the kids, so when the colors came up in the story, the kids brought their pieces up to the board. I love how this book ends - the owl seems to be missing out on so many beautiful colors during the daytime because he's usually asleep, but he discovers there's beauty at night too.


7) Twinkle Twinkle (traditional) & Moon Moon Moon (Laurie Berkner)
What are two things in the sky at night that owls get to see? The stars and the moon... (here's a link to my moon storytime, where I explain the motions I use for the song)


8) I'm Not Sleepy! - Jonathan Allen
I hadn't seen the Baby Owl series before this storytime. Wow they are so cute! I love this one because every single family at storytime could relate. :)


9) 
I use the same opening and closing songs each week. Click here to see what I do.


10) Playtime/Craft
I brought out the blocks and instruments again, as well as the fake leaves to throw around, but the kids all wanted to just do the table activity. I printed an owl outline on cardstock and put out watercolor paints.



Other owls ideas:
Owl Babies - Martin Waddell
Little Owl Lost - Chris Haughton
I'm Not Cute! - Jonathan Allen
I'm Not Scared! - Jonathan Allen





No comments:

Post a Comment